The UK water industry is heavily regulated and is facing significant change. We have extensive experience of advising water utilities and regulators.
We work with our clients to identify the best and most appropriate procurement strategy and contractual mechanism to ensure projects are delivered economically and efficiently. We provide practical and commercial legal advice and guide multi-disciplinary teams through complex procurement, negotiation and due diligence processes.
We have advised on:
- Direct procurement for customers
- Procurement under the Utilities Contracts Regulations 2016
- Construction matters for major water infrastructure
- Service agreements to support water
- Submissions to regulators as part of regular price control processes
- Application of competition law
- Economic regulatory issues
- Bulk supplies
- Bespoke major schemes, including Thames Tideway Tunnel
Our team has advised on some of the most significant and complex infrastructure deals to close in the last decade including on Thames Tideway Tunnel. The team has an enviable reputation nationally.
We can also support you on related aspects, including environmental regulation and dispute resolution.
- We acted for Thames Water supporting and developing the £4.2 billion Thames Tideway Tunnel project.
- We advised Bazalgette Tunnel Limited (Tideway) on their construction arrangements and post licence award procurement and commercial issues.
- We represent a regulatory body developing a new form of private financing solution in the water sector for major infrastructure.
- We are advising a water utility company developing a c.£100m new reservoir – including developing construction and procurement documents.
- We are advising a water utility company putting in place an innovative form of bulk supply agreement – including regulatory and commercial agreements.
- We have assisted a number of water companies in providing submissions to Ofwat at multiple Price Reviews.
It is vital for the legal industry to support the environmental agenda. Our specialist teams are finding more and more ways to support our clients green goals and obligations. Visit our green goals page for more details on how we can achieve green aims both for our clients in the work we do as well as a business and employer.