Our understanding of economic and political challenges, people, place and public law means that we are uniquely placed to advise local government bodies – helping them to achieve practical solutions whilst minimising risk. Our reputation as the ‘go to’ firm for local authorities has its roots in our long-standing, close association with the public sector and our specialism in public law.
We work with local authorities across the UK and are appointed on all the major local government and public sector panels.
We advise on all areas relevant to local government work, including:
- Local authority governance and vires
- Judicial review
- Statutory appeals
- Contracts and procurement
- IT and data
- Dispute resolution
- Leisure projects
Our team members advise on infrastructure projects, construction contracts, major regeneration projects, shared services arrangements, outsourcing and procurement projects. We are known for our innovative approach. We ensure that the objectives of a project are placed at the heart of the transaction and see the law as a tool for achieving them, rather than a hurdle.
We support local authorities on real estate work, planning law, social housing, construction projects and disputes ranging from a housing claim through to a judicial review.
Our administrative law team has an unrivalled reputation for acting for parties in judicial reviews, injunctions, and statutory reviews and appeals.
Our technology and data team advise on the full range of information law including ICT outsourcing, the procurement of hardware and software and, in relation to data protection, freedom of information and privacy.
- We successfully acted for Hammersmith & Fulham LB in the first case in the UK on the Concession Contracts Regulations 2016 Ocean Outdoor UK Ltd v Hammersmith & Fulham LB .
- Advising Hertfordshire County Council on its £2bn joint venture project for the development of surplus land assets.
- Promoting all London Local Authorities Acts for the London Boroughs (inc. bills promoted jointly with TfL), which included important provisions, a number of which have been taken up by the government on a national basis.
- Advising local authority on its participation / funding of a company to deliver improved broadband/Wi-Fi and a JV company to redevelop part of the town in its area – emphasis on state aid and competition law.
What others say
Latest Sharpe Focus Newsletter
The Updated Playbook The fifth PPN of 2020 draws attention to the recent publication of the Cabinet Office’s Outsourcing Playbook v2.0. The original iteration of the Playbook was designed to Read more
Procurement case note: Stagecoach East Midlands Trains Ltd & Ors v The Secretary of State for Transport (2020)
Considering the principles of transparency and fairness in the exercise of discretion On 17 June 2020, the High Court handed down its judgment in a case with important implications for Read more
Sharpe Pritchard latest news and blog
Do’s Know your contract! Firstly, familiarize yourself with your contract. The provisions have been carefully drafted and are there to be used. There is no substitute for reading the contract Read more
In Part 5 of our six-part series on cloud-based ERP Projects, our specialist team of lawyers look at the key data protection considerations for a cloud-based ERP system. The procurement Read more