Our understanding of economic and political challenges, people, place and public law means that we are uniquely placed to advise local government bodies – helping them to achieve practical solutions whilst minimising risk. Our reputation as the ‘go to’ firm for local authorities has its roots in our long-standing, close association with the public sector and our specialism in public law.
We work with local authorities across the UK and are appointed on all the major local government and public sector panels.
We advise on all areas relevant to local government work, including:
- Local authority governance and vires
- Judicial review
- Statutory appeals
- Contracts and procurement
- IT and data
- Dispute resolution
- Leisure projects
Our team members advise on infrastructure projects, construction contracts, major regeneration projects, shared services arrangements, outsourcing and procurement projects. We are known for our innovative approach. We ensure that the objectives of a project are placed at the heart of the transaction and see the law as a tool for achieving them, rather than a hurdle.
We support local authorities on real estate work, planning law, social housing, construction projects and disputes ranging from a housing claim through to a judicial review.
Our administrative law team has an unrivalled reputation for acting for parties in judicial reviews, injunctions, and statutory reviews and appeals.
Our technology and data team advise on the full range of information law including ICT outsourcing, the procurement of hardware and software and, in relation to data protection, freedom of information and privacy.
- We successfully acted for Hammersmith & Fulham LB in the first case in the UK on the Concession Contracts Regulations 2016 Ocean Outdoor UK Ltd v Hammersmith & Fulham LB .
- Advising Hertfordshire County Council on its £2bn joint venture project for the development of surplus land assets.
- Promoting all London Local Authorities Acts for the London Boroughs (inc. bills promoted jointly with TfL), which included important provisions, a number of which have been taken up by the government on a national basis.
- Advising local authority on its participation / funding of a company to deliver improved broadband/Wi-Fi and a JV company to redevelop part of the town in its area – emphasis on state aid and competition law.
What others say
Latest Sharpe Focus Newsletter
Rob Hann, Sharpe Pritchard’s Head of Local Government takes a look at the House of Common’s Public Account Committees’ recent report into the pending expiry of PFI contracts which contains Read more
The recently introduced £95,000 cap on public sector exit payments will now be revoked. Following an extensive review, the Government has determined that the cap should be disapplied until it Read more
Sharpe Pritchard latest news and blog
Some jobs such as care workers, security guards and nightwatchmen require the individual to work night shifts where they may, with the approval of their employer, sleep during some or Read more
‘A step in the right direction’: Sharpe Pritchard’s response to the Government’s Green Paper on transforming public procurement
Sharpe Pritchard’s Procurement Working Group has recently responded to the Government’s Green Paper Transforming Public Procurement, which outlines the Government’s proposals for reforming what it describes as the ‘outdated’ public Read more