Our highway law specialists advise on a multitude of issues from the construction, subsequent dedication, or adoption of new roads and footpaths and provision of associated bonds and other forms of security; to the stopping up, repairs to or improvement of existing highways, and oversail or overhang licences.
Our planning law team is highly experienced in all aspects of highway law, providing the legal expertise to ensure successful outcomes. We negotiate and draft complex Highways Act agreements, often related to major planning applications or sites of strategic or local importance.
Our solicitors advise local highway authorities and work closely with strategic highway authorities such as Transport for London and National Highways on a variety of schemes requiring knowledge of highways legislation.
The firm’s CPO team advises clients on the CPO process, having been involved in a number of highway CPOs for the provision of new highways infrastructure and to facilitate town centre regeneration schemes.
Our planning lawyers advise and assist clients on a full range of highways law and road traffic law:
- Advising, drafting and negotiating section 177 licences; section 8, 38 and 278 agreements
- Diverting or stopping up highways, including side road orders
- Advising on the validity of traffic regulation and traffic management orders
- Schemes requiring substantial infrastructure works
- Advising on planning policies relating to the National Planning Policy Framework
- Strategic advice on highways issues arising from regeneration schemes
- Assisting highway officers and consultants at public inquiries
- Advising on highways and road traffic matters in the context of Nationally Significant Infrastructure Projects and development consent orders (DCOs)
With our Parliamentary and public law experience, we also advise highway authorities and other clients on the drafting and implementation of highways and road traffic legislation, including legislation relating to parking and civil enforcement of traffic offences.
- Dealing with a large number of highway agreements for a County Council including advising on their standard templates.
- Acting for a County Council in respect of the acquisition of land by agreement and CPO for a link road to relieve congestion and open cross city connections.
- Acting on behalf of a County Council to secure highway works and adoption to facilitate an important health facility in the county.
- Advising on all highway related matters connected with major regeneration schemes and security management and maintenance in perpetuity for non-adopted estate roads.
- Advising on a number of highways related development consent orders (DCO) promoted by National Highways, and on the highways aspects of the Sizewell C DCO.