Parliamentary Agents in the United Kingdom
Sharpe Pritchard is one of the few law firms of lawyers with Roll A parliamentary agents amongst their number.
We promote and oppose private and hybrid bills, and draft and advise on secondary legislation, including byelaws, rules and regulations. We advise on the implications of government legislation, draft amendments and advise on parliamentary procedure. We also advise on special procedure orders, hybrid instruments and other statutory instruments.
Infrastructure authorisation is part and parcel of what our team does, and in addition to its experience on hybrid bills, it also has significant experience in the promotion of, and opposition to, Development Consent Orders, Transport and Works Act Orders and Harbour Orders. See our infrastructure authorisation page for more details.
We act for government departments, local authorities, national public bodies, banks, transport authorities, national trade organisations and charities across the whole range of parliamentary work.
- Advising petitioners in respect of the two HS2 Bills which have been promoted so far and advising prospective petitioners in respect of the forthcoming Phase 2B scheme.
- Promoting all the London Local Authorities Acts for the London Boroughs (including bills promoted jointly with Transport for London), which have included many important provisions, a number of which have been taken up subsequently by the government on a national basis.
- Promoting Acts for local authorities to enable them to close highways for filming, and to deal with street trading.
- Promoting private Acts for major banks, companies and trade unions.
- Advising a charity on an order which effected a change in its objects.
- Advising health charities, local authorities and pressure groups on tobacco control legislation.
- Drafting the rules of a professional regulatory body.
It is vital for the legal industry to support the environmental agenda. Our specialist teams are finding more and more ways to support our clients green goals and obligations. Visit our green goals page for more details on how we can achieve green aims both for our clients in the work we do as well as a business and employer.