Our firm is a recognised leader in advising clients from both the public and commercial sectors on all aspects of public law.
Lawyers in all departments of our firm advise on public law issues, including on:
- Governance issues
- Collaborative arrangements
- Trading powers
- Licensing (including prosecutions)
- Highway law
- Freedom of information
- Elections and electoral law
- Administrative law
- Public and parliamentary law
- Human rights and vires
- State aid and competition
With many of our lawyers coming from public sector backgrounds, we have the expertise to deal with all these issues authoritatively.
- Promoting all London Local Authorities Acts for the London Boroughs (inc. bills promoted jointly with TfL), which included important provisions, a number of which have been taken up by the government on a national basis.
- Promoting Acts for local authorities to enable them to close highways for filming, and to deal with street trading.
- Acting for the returning officer in an election petition which challenged the election of the mayor of Tower Hamlets in 2014.
- Advising health charities, local authorities and pressure groups on tobacco control legislation.
- Advising the tri-boroughs on structures for its intelligent client model.
- Assisting a large county council with an investigation into a member’s conduct.
- Advising Essex County Council on its powers to trade and trading structures.
What others say
Latest Sharpe Focus Newsletter
Curing a breach of the Public Sector Equality Duty in Possession Proceedings Slough Borough Council v Taylor  EWHC 3520 (Ch)
In upholding a possession order made by Her Honour Judge Melissa Clark at Oxford County Court in May 2019, Mr Justice Zacaroli sitting in the High Court also confirmed that Read more
The government has announced the Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme (Furlough Scheme) has been extended in response to the impact of the new national restrictions which will require the population to Read more
Sharpe Pritchard latest news and blog
Introduction In the weeks leading up to Christmas 2020, a year of unprecedented challenges for the Construction Industry was threatening to end in crisis. With the ‘Transition Period’ coming to Read more
Uber BV and others (Appellants) v Aslam and others (Respondents)  UKSC 5 The Supreme Court has now handed down Judgment on the Uber case which will set a precedent Read more