Our firm is a recognised leader in advising clients from both the public and commercial sectors on all aspects of public law.
Lawyers in all departments of our firm advise on public law issues, including on:
- Governance issues
- Collaborative arrangements
- Trading powers
- Licensing (including prosecutions)
- Highway law
- Freedom of information
- Elections and electoral law
- Administrative law
- Public and parliamentary law
- Human rights and vires
- State aid and competition
With many of our lawyers coming from public sector backgrounds, we have the expertise to deal with all these issues authoritatively.
- Promoting all London Local Authorities Acts for the London Boroughs (inc. bills promoted jointly with TfL), which included important provisions, a number of which have been taken up by the government on a national basis.
- Promoting Acts for local authorities to enable them to close highways for filming, and to deal with street trading.
- Acting for the returning officer in an election petition which challenged the election of the mayor of Tower Hamlets in 2014.
- Advising health charities, local authorities and pressure groups on tobacco control legislation.
- Advising the tri-boroughs on structures for its intelligent client model.
- Assisting a large county council with an investigation into a member’s conduct.
- Advising Essex County Council on its powers to trade and trading structures.
It is vital for the legal industry to support the environmental agenda. Our specialist teams are finding more and more ways to support our clients green goals and obligations. Visit our green goals page for more details on how we can achieve green aims both for our clients in the work we do as well as a business and employer.