We have a national reputation as the “go to” form for judicial review work which has seen our lawyers involved in some of the most significant actions of recent years. We regularly act for local authorities in respect of judicial reviews and statutory appeals to the High Court as well as individuals challenging decisions of local authorities. The subject matter of such judicial reviews is varied and includes planning, education, child care and transport.
We have also acted for corporate bodies, non-governmental and non-profit-making organisations or associations with interests in local planning issues and decisions.
The team regularly bring statutory appeals seeking to quash decisions made by inspectors at planning appeals. Such work also involves challenges in respect of cost decisions. We routinely advise in respect of local plans.
We guide claimants and defendants through the whole judicial review process, including:
• The drafting of and response to pre-action protocol letters
• Advising on the merits of the case
• Advising on costs, including advising on protective costs orders in environmental cases
• Preparing and lodging the response to the application
• Preparing for and appearing at the hearing itself
• Advising on appeals
- Acting for Test Valley in issuing a challenge to quash a decision granting material change of use of land from agricultural to storage and distribution.
- Acting for Wycombe District Council in two separate challenges against Wycombe District Council’s Local Plan.
- Successfully acted for the National Trust to challenge decisions made by the Secretary of State for Housing, Communities and Local Government.
- Acting for Elmbridge Borough Council in defending a JR of the quashing of a decision to grant planning permission for a sports hub.
- Acting for Mid Sussex District Council in defending High Court Judicial Review proceedings involving a grant of planning permission for housing, involving four High Court Challenges and an appeal to the Court of Appeal.
What others say
Latest Sharpe Focus Newsletter
Mohamed & Lahrie v London Borough of Waltham Forest and Secretary of State for Housing, Communities and Local Government
Sharpe Pritchard LLP acted for the London Borough of Waltham Forest (the ‘Council’) in defence of two claims for judicial review of decisions made against Mr Mohammed and Mrs Lahrie Read more
Derby City Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust and 16 Others v Derby City Council and 44 Others  EWHC 3436 (Ch)
William Rose, a Partner at Sharpe Pritchard LLP, has acted for the Local Government Association in defending claims brought by 17 NHS foundation trusts against 45 local authorities. The NHS Read more
Sharpe Pritchard latest news and blog
Following the UK Government’s tightening of track and trace measures last week, it is now mandatory for various organisations, including public authorities, to collect contact information for those visiting their Read more
In the news this week, it was reported that Public Health Wales suffered a personal data breach when details of over 18,000 people who had tested positive for COVID-19 were Read more