Dispute resolution and litigation
Our experienced and active dispute resolution and litigation team practise across many contentious practice areas and the many procedures which control those areas.
A significant number of our clients are public sector bodies including central government, London boroughs and many local authorities up and down the country. We also act for utilities and private clients.
We appear regularly in the Courts on judicial reviews, planning appeals and injunctions. We also advise on a broad range of commercial contractual disputes (often via implementing Dispute Resolution Procedures in those contracts) , procurement challenges as well as housing, commercial landlord and tenant, environmental work and real estate related disputes – particularly concerning land development agreements and urban renewal schemes.
- Acting for a central government department in a major IT contract where the losing bidder claimed the contracting authority had not done enough to neutralise the advantages of the winning incumbent.
- Acting for large south east of England borough council – two challenges brought by two incumbent highways maintenance contractors in a procurement conducted by Lots. The contractor argued the Council’s award decisions failed to identify them as the “best” tenderer.
- We acted for a Claimant borough council who commenced proceedings against a county council who decided to exclude its tender for a procedural irregularity.
- The Queen (on the application of Charles Jones) v English Heritage and others  EWHC 2259 (Admin): a case involving the question of the designation of land as a registered battlefield.
- The Queen (on the application of Oxford Aviation Services Ltd & Another) v Ministry of Defence and Others  EWHC 24 (Admin): Jurisdiction of the Civil Aviation Authority over military airfields which take civilian flights.
- The Queen (on the application of Cherkley Campaign Ltd) v Mole Valley District Council and Another  EWCA Civ 567: Successful appeal to the Court of Appeal over challenge to planning permission for a golf course and hotel facilities.
- We acted for the successful local authority in the leading case on standing to bring a judicial review claim challenging a procurement law decision – Wylde v Waverley Borough Council  EWHC 466.
- We also acted for the successful local authority in the first case in the Uk to consider the application of the Concessions Contracts Regulations 2016 – Ocean Outdoor UK Limited v London Borough of Hammersmith and Fulham  EWCA Civ 1642.
- We acted for a Claimant borough council who commenced proceedings against a county council who decided to exclude its tender for a breach of a mandatory requirement.
It is vital for the legal industry to support the environmental agenda. Our specialist teams are finding more and more ways to support our clients green goals and obligations. Visit our green goals page for more details on how we can achieve green aims both for our clients in the work we do as well as a business and employer.