Our solicitors advise organisations across the public, private and third sectors on a wide range of issues related to data protection and freedom of information compliance.
Data Protection Law
The General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and the Data Protection Act 2018 are the key pieces of data protection legislation governing personal data.
In order to remain compliant, it is important to take legal advice from expert solicitors who specialise in this particular area of law. Our data protection lawyers regularly advise on GDPR and Data Protection Act 2018 matters such as drafting and negotiating amendments to existing contracts, drafting data sharing agreements, providing advice relating to Data Subject Access Requests, international data transfers, advising on Data Protection Impact Assessments, updating and drafting privacy notices and preparing records of processing activities.
Freedom of Information and Environmental Information Regulation
Our expertise in the public sector means we also frequently advise on compliance with the Freedom of Information Act, the Environmental Information Regulations (EIR) and similar legislation.
This ranges from advising on responses to requests for information, conducting audits of information which is potentially disclosable, advising on the applicability of statutory exemptions, responding to Information Commissioner investigations/complaints handling and dealing with vexatious requests.
- Preparing a data sharing agreement to be used by two local authorities as they go through the process of being restructured.
- Advice on handling international data transfers resulting from the use of software as a service products.
- Appointed by a regulator to provide support and assistance with respect to addressing a number of Subject Access Requests and to provide external Data Protection Officer support.
- Data Protection Impact Assessment for a group of police forces working jointly – advised on the contents of initial draft DPIA for a new project regarding a change in the way recruits are trained.
- Advising a public sector programme on the application of the commercial interests exemption when responding to FOIA requests.
It is vital for the legal industry to support the environmental agenda. Our specialist teams are finding more and more ways to support our clients green goals and obligations. Visit our green goals page for more details on how we can achieve green aims both for our clients in the work we do as well as a business and employer.