Our solicitors advise organisations across the public, private and third sectors on a wide range of issues related to data protection and freedom of information compliance.
Data Protection Law
The General Data Protection Regulation and the Data Protection Act 2018 are the key pieces of data protection legislation governing personal data.
In order to remain compliant it is important to take legal advice from expert solicitors who specialise in this particular area of law. Our data protection lawyers regularly advise on GDPR and Data Protection Act 2018 matters such as drafting and negotiating amendments to existing contracts, providing advice relating to Data Subject Access Requests, international data transfers, advising on Data Protection Impact Assessments, updating and drafting privacy notices and preparing records of processing activities.
Freedom of Information and Environmental Information Regulation
Our expertise in the public sector means we also frequently advise on compliance with the Freedom of Information Act, the Environmental Information Regulations (EIR) and similar legislation.
This ranges from advising on responses to requests for information, conducting audits of information which is potentially disclosable, advising on the applicability of statutory exemptions, responding to Information Commissioner investigations/complaints handling and dealing with vexatious requests.
- Advising the Financial Conduct Authority on its GDPR preparation and readiness project.
- Advising a group of nine police forces – development of a new software product – subject matter expertise and enshrining privacy by design to ensure the product is GDPR compliant.
- Advising a Police &Crime Commissioner – implementation of a new governance model, revising their constitution and data protection policies to ensure compliance with the GDPR and the Law Enforcement Directive.
- Advising a County Council on a business critical transfer of large volumes of sensitive personal data outside of the EEA, including drafting appropriate data processing terms and ensuring safeguards were implemented.
- Advising a group of local authorities on responding to a series of FOI Act requests from the BBC, Sunday Mirror, a claims management company and private individuals – high profile public law matter.
- Advising an innovative technology company based in Israel on its GDPR compliance roadmap, in support of its bid to a major UK retailer.
- FCA – appointed by the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) to provide support and assistance with respect to addressing a number of Data Subject Access Requests received pursuant to the GDPR and to provide external Data Protection Officer support.
- Wiltshire Council – FOI requests – advised on a series of complex FOI queries following the award of its BDUK superfast broadband contract. Reviewed ICO decision & ancillary documentation, advised on procedure for lodging appeal against ICO decision and drafted Notice of Appeal for submission to the FTT – successfully resolved.
- Seven Forces – Data Protection Impact Assessment – advised on the contents of initial draft Data Protection Impact Assessment (DPIA) for new project regarding a change in the way recruits are trained. Met with internal information officers to understand the data flows and work through the different processes so the DPIA accurately reflected the new ways of working.
What others say
Latest Sharpe Focus Newsletter
Data, Privacy and Information Law
The government has announced the Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme (Furlough Scheme) has been extended in response to the impact of the new national restrictions which will require the population to Read more
Following the UK Government’s tightening of track and trace measures last week, it is now mandatory for various organisations, including public authorities, to collect contact information for those visiting their Read more
Sharpe Pritchard latest news and blog
Data, Privacy and Information Law
Introduction In the weeks leading up to Christmas 2020, a year of unprecedented challenges for the Construction Industry was threatening to end in crisis. With the ‘Transition Period’ coming to Read more
Uber BV and others (Appellants) v Aslam and others (Respondents)  UKSC 5 The Supreme Court has now handed down Judgment on the Uber case which will set a precedent Read more