Our team has extensive experience in all manner of construction disputes, from complex claims running into the hundreds of millions of pounds to straightforward enforcement proceedings on adjudication decisions.
We are highly experienced in all forms of dispute resolution, including mediation, litigation, expert determination, and arbitration.
We have a particular expertise in adjudication and are unique in offering a dedicated unit specialising in the adjudication of construction disputes (SP Adjudication). We can assist throughout the adjudication process, whether you are referring a dispute or responding to a referral. Our team can also advise on appealing a decision or on enforcement. Our team has an enviably high success rate, achieving a favourable outcome in over 88% of the cases we advise on.
However, our focus is on helping clients to achieve the best outcome, whatever route is used, and we often find that disputes can be successfully settled through active commercial negotiations. For this reason we have SP Mediation, a standalone team of mediators able to assist on a wide variety of disputes.
We work with clients to achieve pragmatic decisions; it makes sense to have us on your side.
- Advising on a £200m+ PFI dispute.
- Acting for a London hospital trust in two major PFI disputes.
- Acting for a London Council in a substantial dispute relating to housing stock planned preventative maintenance.
- £7m dispute in relation to a district heating network successfully settled through mediation.
- Instructed by a London university college in a multi-million pound dispute relating to office refurbishments and asbestos.
- London Authority – advising a Council on a complex construction dispute, crystallising in a “Christmas adjudication”.
- Brentwood Borough Council, Asset Development Joint Venture Procurement. Advising on a competitive dialogue procurement for projects with gross development value of > £1bn.
- major contractors and PLCs on construction disputes in respect of extension of time claims, loss and expense claims and ‘smash and grab’ adjudications.
- a higher educations institution on a major new build.