Sharpe Pritchard’s expert team of construction lawyers works with a broad range of clients, including central government, local authorities, higher education institutions, hospital trusts, registered providers, developers, project sponsors, consultants, and charitable institutions. Our construction team has substantial strength and depth, and deals with a wide range of construction and infrastructure projects, from large-scale national projects to major waste-to-energy sites and town centre regenerations.
Our projects include:
- School expansion programmes
- High-profile and politically sensitive new builds and large-scale refurbishments
- Major infrastructure and engineering projects (including many of national significance)
- Higher educational facilities
- Commercial premises
- Mixed-use schemes
- Large-scale housing schemes
- Student and affordable accommodation, and historic restorations
Our team also supports clients in resolving construction disputes, whether through negotiation, mediation, or, where necessary, formal dispute resolution procedures. The team advises on all aspects of construction disputes, including extension of time and loss and expense claims, professional negligence claims, and general damages claims. We are highly experienced in all forms of dispute resolution including mediation, arbitration, litigation, expert determination, and adjudication. We have a dedicated adjudication unit (SP Adjudication) which deals exclusively with construction disputes, and also a standalone mediation team (SP Mediation).
We regularly lecture and run training workshops on JCT and NEC contracts, procurement in the construction industry, and dispute resolution.
The team works closely with clients to resolve disputes during the operation of PFI/PPP contracts, and has considerable experience of successfully operating the specialist dispute resolution procedures found in such Project Agreements.
- Central Government – major flagship design and build construction project in central London.
- Southend-on-Sea Borough Council – Better Queensway. Advising on the Council’s most significant and largest ever regeneration project.
- Authorities across the country – large-scale development and construction joint ventures, including town centre regenerations, commercial developments and major housing projects.
- London councils – extensive school expansion projects.
- Complex energy from waste infrastructure project for an authority.
- London Authority – advising a Council on a complex construction dispute, crystallising in a “Christmas adjudication”.
- Brentwood Borough Council, Asset Development Joint Venture Procurement. Advising on a competitive dialogue procurement for projects with gross development value of > £1bn.
- major contractors and PLCs on construction disputes in respect of extension of time claims, loss and expense claims and ‘smash and grab’ adjudications.
- a higher educations institution on a major new build.