Sharpes are one of the few firms with a genuine expertise in the regulatory / commercial law blend, and Steve Gummer is a certainly an up and coming leader in this area. This together with their leading PPP experience makes them competitive with some of the more recognised names in the field.
Steve is absolutely top-notch, good intellect, manner and approach….he is well regarded
Steve Gummer has a rare blend of commercial and regulatory experience
Legal 500 2021
Steve is the Head of Net Zero at Sharpe Pritchard LLP. Previously at Allen and Overy, he returned to Sharpe Pritchard in 2017.
Steve has extensive experience on regulated and net zero projects. He has acted for investors, utilities, government and innovative developers on all types of projects.
This includes regulated water, where he has experience advising on environmental matters and licence conditions and creating and developing financeable regulated project structures. He has worked on a number of bespoke regulated projects, including in the nuclear sector and in the water sector including on the Thames Tideway Tunnel and Portsmouth Water in developing a unique form of bulk supply arrangement on the Havant Thicket Project. Steve is an expert on regulated asset base delivery models.
Steve also has experience working on regulated electricity projects and innovative power purchase agreements. He has advised on electricity licensing issues and offtake agreements. He has worked with a range of public and private sector clients to help them finance and get the best value from their electricity assets. Work has included solar PV, major solar farms, nuclear power, offshore wind, offshore transmission arrangements, battery storage, hydrogen, energy from waste and anaerobic digestion.
Steve is also a renowned expert on district heating, advising on delivery structures, finance, regulatory issues, risk allocation, grant schemes and legal compliance.
Steve is familiar with PPP structures and has advised several public authorities, particularly in the waste sector. This has involved an amendment to complex project finance structures and the development of detailed payment mechanics.
Steve has also represented regulators and central government. Work includes work for Ofwat, the Department for Energy Security and Net Zero and the Department for Business and Trade. His work in the public sector has included detailed subsidy control and competition advice (including taking matters to the Competition and Markets Authority in respect of the Subsidy Control Act 2022), public procurement and development of commercial contracts – including standard forms of construction agreement for major projects including using the NEC, FIDIC, IChem E and JCT forms of contract.
Steve works with Steve Cirell on the GreenSteves Project to support the public sector to deliver net zero. He also regularly supports schemes such as Net Zero Catapult to provide free advice on energy issues.
Case highlights - advising:
- Central government in respect of major grant funding competitions to secure the future of the offshore wind sector including the Floating Offshore Wind Manufacturing Investment Scheme and the Offshore Coordination Support Scheme.
- Ofwat in developing Direct Procurement for Customers – This is a major new form of PPP delivery.
- Portsmouth Water in a groundbreaking Havant Thicket Reservoir Project.
- Mersey Travel on their revolutionary hydrogen bus project.
- Cambridgeshire County Council on the Swaffham Prior District Heating Project – a first of a kind retrofit district heating project.
- A district heating scheme in the heart of London for the City of London.
- Thames Water on the Thames Tideway Tunnel project.
- Multiple solar PV projects for public and private sector developers.
- Two developers of UK based nuclear plant.
- A purchaser of an offshore transmission asset.
- Local authorities in developing their energy from waste and anaerobic digestion facilities.