Ryan’s practice focusses on company law and corporate governance and he specialises in advising on governance arrangements for a range of corporate structures including arms-length government bodies, statutory entities, local authority companies and joint ventures, charities and private corporate clients.
Ryan’s core practice also includes intellectual property and he regularly advises on a variety of intellectual property aspects. He is highly regarded by clients for his succinct and clear guidance on complex issues.
Ryan has experience of advising on a variety of housing company schemes and has considerable experience on large scale infrastructure and commercial projects. He advises on a range of commercial contracts, company law issues, subsidy control financing, as well as wider public law.
Frequently guiding clients on board governance and company law requirements, Ryan provides company directors, shareholders and trustees with clear legal direction to ensure they can focus on the successful and efficient operation of their company or charity.
- Palace of Westminster: advising on the incorporation of the Restoration and Renewal Delivery Authority Limited and ongoing governance considerations for the wider Programme
- Southend on Sea Borough Council on its joint venture with a housing association to regenerate a large housing estate
- Advising various companies on intellectual property issues and ownership considerations across a number of IP disciplines.
- Advising a group of shareholders on a corporate restructuring involving a share sale, setting up a new joint venture and negotiating alterations to existing franchise arrangements.
- Ongoing corporate governance support to a variety of statutory entities
- Supporting and advising a London authority through a competitive procurement exercise regarding a joint venture with a private entity and drafting and negotiating the legal suite, including shareholders agreements and financing arrangements.
- Providing board governance, finance and general company law advice to a range of corporate vehicles.
- Advising authorities on the necessary steps and arrangements when considering “insourcing” services which are currently outsourced.
- Hertfordshire County Council and Brentwood Borough Council on their limited liability partnership joint ventures to develop their surplus land assets.
- Advising several London authorities on the best corporate structures for outsourcing services to a wholly-owned Regulation 12 (“Teckal”) company.