Nicola Sumner is an absolute expert on public procurement. Her advice is always excellent and timely.
Nicola Sumner has “well established expertise in procurement, PFI/PPP and contractual matters”
Legal 500, 2020 edition
Nicola Sumner is “highly regarded by clients for her expertise advising on projects relating to infrastructure including rail, road and utilities developments.”
One client comments: “She is a significant and constant source of support through the many varied challenges we face. She is always approachable and calm and she adds value on a repeated basis.”
Chambers and Partners UK, 2020 edition
Nicola Sumner has leading procurement and infra expertise. “She has honesty, integrity, subject matter knowledge and the ability to work with tricky stakeholders, as well as mentor those with less experience”.
Legal 500 2021
Nicky is head of Sharpe Pritchard’s infrastructure group and specialises in advising on procurement and infrastructure projects.
She is experienced in advising on both public contracts and utilities contracts procurement regimes. Sectors include local government, central government, waste, energy, water, rail and road.
Nicky is a Member of the Procurement Lawyers’ Association and joint author of Defra’s Waste Infrastructure Delivery Programme’s Residual Waste Treatment Contract.
- Palace of Westminster: Restoration and Renewal programme.
- Procurement advice and commercial assurance: advising on a number of Top 40 priority infrastructure projects.
- Thames Tideway Tunnel: working with Thames Water’s project team between April 2012 and licence award in 2015 on all aspects of the project including the procurement of over 30 construction contracts from the main works civils to the enabling works for the tunnel and the procurement of the infrastructure provider, Tideway.
- Bazalgette Tunnel Ltd (‘Tideway’): advising the infrastructure provider for the Thames Tideway Tunnel on post close procurement and commercial issues.
- Waste infrastructure PPP/PFI programme: working with Defra, Local Partnerships and local authorities on waste PFI/PPP projects, advising on procurement and commercial strategies, PPP/PF2 issues, advising on operational matters including delivery of operational savings.
- West London Waste Authority: end to end advice on procurement of the £1.4 billion residual waste services PPP project to manage residual waste in West London.
- End to end advice on procurement of waste and energy infrastructure projects including: Nottinghamshire Waste PFI, Buckinghamshire Waste PPP, Suffolk Waste PFI, Hertfordshire Residual Waste Treatment Project, Slough Residual Waste Management Project.
- Advising on revised project plans for Nottinghamshire County Council and Hertfordshire County Council.