Over the past 5 years Colin has mainly concentrated on three practice areas:-
– but has experience in many others.
Whilst having a litigation background, Colin is a partner in the projects department and that assimilation into the department means he can “hit the ground running” and is therefore readily available to advise and assist other members of the department as well as undertaking his own independent instructions. His recent work has consisted of;
- contractual interpretation issues;
- avoiding disputes developing – particularly potential procurement challenge cases where the initial exchanges can be crucial and determinative on whether proceedings are commenced;
- advising clients and acting after dispute resolution procedures have been engaged;
- substantively acting in proceedings both for Claimants and Defendants; and
- acting in early termination issues in commercial contracts, particularly IT contracts.
Colin is a member of the Procurement Lawyers Association and has published articles in the Local Government Lawyer and the Journal of Planning Law.
He is the author of:
- Challenges to Procurement Decisions - The Issues and Pitfalls (2015);
Joined Sharpe Pritchard
Constant & Constant - in-house legal department for a bank.
- acting for Daventry District Council in their successful claim for rectification of an agreement which transferred its housing stock to an RSL (See Daventry District Council v Daventry District Housing Limited  EWCA Civ 1153);
- acting for a County Council/Waste Disposal Authority in a disputed right of way which provided access to a new multi million pound Energy from Waste Facility;
- successfully acting for a London Borough in a “overcharging” for services and goods case;
- acting for a South East of England Borough Council in a claim for payments made under a “failed” novation of a housing maintenance contract;
- successfully acting for a London Borough in a challenge to its award of a long-term high value contract for its leisure and sporting facilities;
- acting for a Borough Council in a challenge to the award of a contract for the funding of wellbeing services following the rejection of the Borough Council’s tender;
- advising a South East of England Borough Council in modifications to a town centre development agreement;
- acting for a major water utility in an abnormally low tender issue.
What others say
“… much enjoyed working with you and certainly would choose to do so again”
“… provided support and a proactive approach at all times”
“… gave a detailed intelligent and thoughtful analysis of all the issues we faced”