We have retained Julie for legal employment advice and support for our 25-person business for more than eight years, having started working with her in 2012.
Julie’s legal advice is very pragmatic, taking account of our commercial and legal interests, is delivered promptly but also in a very usable format, which makes it easy to implement and execute.
As a small business we want to focus on our client activities and Julie helps ensure we can do that with a high degree of employment legal compliance, reduced employment risks all with a minimum of effort. We would not be without her help.
Julie supports both employers and individuals working in a wide range of sectors from individual and small charities to large multi-national companies. She particularly specialises in supporting charities and educational organisations.
Julie has expertise in advising on all employment law-related issues from drafting and revising employment contracts and procedures to resolving internal disputes.
She has advised on:
- Redundancies including collective consultation;
- Restructuring, merging or de-merging;
- disciplinary issues;
- whistleblowing and allegations of discrimination.
Julie is also a confident advocate and can support and represent clients through the Tribunal process.
She can provide training courses for clients on all aspects of employment law from legal updates to practical sessions on managing disputes.
- Conducted a complex whistleblowing investigation in connection to a complaint against a Senior Director of religious discrimination.
- Successfully representing a non-departmental government body against an unfair dismissal claim following a dismissal due to a breakdown in the employment relationship.
- Successfully represented a client in a four- day sex discrimination Employment Tribunal including a successful defence against vicarious liability.
- Appeal Panel member for a whistleblowing and discrimination appeal for a school, which involved interviewing 10 people, collating evidence and writing and extensive report.
- Coordinating a global legal research project on employee absence and bonus entitlement. Liaising with lawyers across 18 countries, collating the responses in a summarised format.
- Advising a unionised charity client on a staffing restructure which involved redundancies and a pay review.
- Review and revising employment policies and procedures for a range of clients including a large further education college.
- Drafting and/or revising contracts for employees, workers, consultants.