… much enjoyed working with you and certainly would choose to do so again
… provided support and a proactive approach at all times
… gave a detailed intelligent and thoughtful analysis of all the issues we faced
Over the past 5 years Colin has mainly concentrated on three practice areas:-
- Procurement challenges – procurement advice
- Commercial contract disputes and terminations
- Commercial property disputes
– but has experience in many others.
Whilst having a litigation background, Colin is a partner in the projects department and that assimilation into the department means he can “hit the ground running” and is therefore readily available to advise and assist other members of the department as well as undertaking his own independent instructions. His recent work has consisted of;
- Contractual commercial lease interpretation issues
- Avoiding disputes developing – particularly potential procurement challenge cases where the initial exchanges can be crucial and determinative on whether proceedings are commenced
- Advising clients before and after dispute resolution procedures in contracts have been engaged
- Acting in proceedings of a commercial nature for public and private sector Claimants and Defendants
- Acting in early termination of commercial contracts for breach and otherwise
Colin is a member of the Procurement Lawyers Association and has published articles in the Local Government Lawyer and the Journal of Planning Law.
- Acting for Daventry District Council in their successful claim for rectification of an agreement which transferred its housing stock to an RSL (See Daventry District Council v Daventry District Housing Limited  EWCA Civ 1153).
- Acting for a County Council/Waste Disposal Authority in a disputed right of way which provided access to a new multi million pound energy from waste facility.
- Successfully acting for a London Borough in an “overcharging” for services and goods case.
- Acting for a South East of England Borough Council in a claim for payments made under a “failed” novation of a housing maintenance contract.
- Successfully acting for a London Borough in a challenge to its award of a long-term high value contract for its leisure and sporting facilities.
- Advising a South East of England Borough Council on modifications to a town centre development agreement.
- Acting for a major water utility in an abnormally low tender challenge.
- Advising a South East of England Council in varying a waste collection contract under Regulation 72 on the PCR 2015.
- Acting for a healthcare provider in a challenge to its procurement award decision.
- Successfully acting in the landmark judicial review procurement case of Wylde v Waverley Borough Council  EWHC 466 (Admin).