We are recruiting a Professional Support Lawyer to join our successful and expanding Construction and Commercial Contract team.
Our team has extensive experience in all manner of construction disputes, from complex claims running into the hundreds of millions of pounds to straightforward enforcement proceedings on adjudication decisions.
Our team regularly advises on all standard form construction contracts, including JCT, NEC, PPC, FIDIC, ICE and GC/Works.
The vast majority of the firm’s work is with clients in the public sector, including central and local government, NHS trusts and higher education bodies, and so the role would ideally suit those who wish to help to support the team in its work with public sector clients.
Key responsibilities include:
- Responsibility for preparing regular bi-weekly case digest and proactively alerting fee earners to key changes in the law and practice affecting their work.
- Attending work group meetings and providing updates on current topics/significant changes in the law of relevance to the group, preparing agendas and making minutes.
- Leading the monthly Construction Working Group meetings to discuss recent cases and relevant legal developments, and to assist in the technical training of the team.
- Taking responsibility for the collection, dissemination and management of the Department’s knowhow and ensuring that it is readily accessible to fee earners on the firm’s knowledge directory.
- Maintenance of knowledge directory: Analysis of material, profiling/indexing documents for inclusion in directory, reviewing material and promoting the tools to end-users.
- Maintenance of precedent back.
- Dealing with technical legal queries from fee earners within the Department and the firm. Acting as a sounding board for complex legal, tactical and strategic queries. Advising fee earners on the appropriate use of knowhow resources.
- Designing, organising and (where appropriate) delivering the Department’s internal technical training programmes for lawyers across all levels.
- Supporting the firm’s client relationships by preparing and delivering training to clients.
- Supporting the preparation for seminars delivered by fee-earners
- Working closely with the lawyers in the Department and the Bid Manager to horizon scan and identify topics which can be used to showcase the Department ‘s expertise.
- Participating in and organising the team’s marketing and practice development activities including writing and editing articles for the firm’s website and client newsletter, preparing and speaking at seminars and assisting in preparing tenders.
- Organise the production of the team’s submissions to the Chambers and Legal 500 directories.
- Supporting fee earners with business development by advising on articles and external publications targeted at the Department’s and firm’s client base, organising fee earners to produce articles regularly and to speak at appropriate seminars.
We welcome applications from construction solicitors who have up to date knowledge of and experience in construction law and practice.
Experience of public and / or local authority sector would be advantageous.
Why join us?
We are a purpose driven organisation with an active social committee, Corporate Social responsibility committee, Equality and Diversity forum and Wellbeing Leadership Group. We have recently become a signatory to the Mindful Business Charter.
It is central to our values that our teams reflect the diverse community around us and that everyone at Sharpe Pritchard can be themselves and bring their authentic selves to work. Achieving true equality, diversity and inclusion is a core aim and we very much welcome applications from all sections of our diverse community, irrespective of race or racial group, sex, sexual orientation, sexual identity, religion or belief, age or disability. We make reasonable adjustments within the recruitment process and upon joining the firm to support applicants of all abilities.
What you will be getting in return
You will work alongside a supportive, friendly and collaborative team, offering flexible hybrid working from the start. We have an HQ in London but welcome candidates from across the UK who have the ability to pop into HQ, ideally 1 or 2 days a week.
A generous bonus scheme is on offer alongside a competitive salary. You will gain professional development with a structured path to advancing your career. We provide a generous benefits package that includes but is not limited to:
- Generous annual leave, starting at 28 days leave per annum
- Private Pension
- Private Medical Insurance
- Life assurance
- Income protection
- Smart health (including virtual GP service)
- Health and wellbeing app
- Individual learning and development and Business development budgets
- Flexi time policy (core working hours of 10.00 – 16.00)
- Hybrid working
- Flexible working (for example, part time and home working)
Get in touch if you are looking to do high quality legal work across the country with a friendly and supportive team by applying here.
We are committed to diversity and inclusion and welcome applications from all sections of the community irrespective of race or racial group, sex, sexual orientation, religion or belief, age or disability.
We make reasonable adjustments within the recruitment process and upon joining the firm to support applicants of all abilities.